Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ewwwww!!!!!

had i not been the victim of this event, i would not have believed it!

i was sitting at my desk today waiting for my students to finish their assignment when one of my boys came up to me and said, "hey, mrs. hayes, remember how i said i have a dog?"

"yes."

"well i have proof.  do you wanna see it?"  (i didn't doubt that the boy owned a dog.  that's not a hard one to believe...giraffe, maybe, but dog, no.)  a giant red flag should have popped up in front of me shouting, "don't do it mrs. hayes!  just say no!"

"ok...." i think i was probably scooting my chair farther away from him at this point...he opened his hand and showed me several little black pebble-looking things...miniature poop, maybe?

"what is that????"

"it's her toenails!  i trimmed them last night!"  DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT WAS FOR ME NOT TO LAUGH OUT LOUD??? 

 by now some other kids have noticed that there's a show-and-tell going on at the teacher's desk and one of them asked, "where did you keep those all day and not lose them?"

"oh, they were in my shoe."

like i said, had i not been there and someone was telling this story, i might not believe they were telling the whole truth.  but I'VE got proof! 

i am trying to keep my camera with me all the time so i can capture random {moments} in my never-boring life and boy was i glad i had it today!

so i said, "ok. now you're gonna think i'm weird but i'm going to take a picture of your dog's toenails because i like taking random pictures of things."  he thought that was pretty cool.  but now that i think about it....maybe i shouldn't encourage the boy.  who knows what he'll have tomorrow!



6 comments:

GiGi said...

First of all, EWWWWWWWW is right that he brought dog toenails to school. Second of all, he kept his dog's toenails in his SHOE!!! Of all places! Totally unbelievable story. Amazing the things that happen to you on a daily basis.

nellie rae said...

ha ha ha! so funny. so GROSS! but so funny. i love the way little tiny minds work. very fun that you get to experience the 'innocence' of children every day. too bad you get the NOT SO innocent too. :)
thanks for sharing. LOVE that you are keeping your camera with you. i am too!

nellie rae said...

also, is it the angle, or his his thumb {gigantically} long?

summer said...

Oh my gosh.I could not stop laughing! I would read a little...laugh...read somemore and laughed...My hubby was reading with me and he shook his head while laughing. And the shoe? Did he just decide that's where his toenails are so why not his dog's? Did they just roll around in there or were they in a baggie? Please tell me you sent a funny note home to his momma. I would be mortified if Grayson(8) did something like that. What grade do you teach?

AnnieB said...

Amy, you are a HOOT! Annette

amy said...

I teach 5th grade. amazing...weird....unbelievable....
gross things happen in my room on a regular basis! It's one of the many reasons I enjoy being a teacher! Never a dull moment.

As for his thumb, Nellie, it's probably just the angle, but now I'll have to check it out!

What's really bad about the toenails being in his shoe is that they were just loose in there AND he didn't bring them out to show me until after 2 p.m.!!!!

I didn't send a note home to mom. What do you say to that? It was so bizarre that it was funny!