Monday, May 18, 2009

therapy

the weather was so beautiful today!  i told one of my students that i'd rather be fishing today, and he agreed!  so after school this afternoon, i went to okie bait shop and bought some worms and a fishing license.  the boys and i didn't even go in the house when we got home!  we pulled into the garage, loaded up our fishing gear and headed to the ponds!

sitting out there on my tunnel, watching the ripples in the pond is so therapeutic....and after the ordeal in my class this afternoon, i needed some serious therapy!
i hadn't had my line in the water two minutes, and bam! i caught a little fish!  i love the anticipation of fishing....watching the bobber for that exact moment when the fish takes it under. then you reel like crazy hoping to get it in before the fish gets away.  but i absolutely hate getting the fish off the hook!  i will not touch the fish.  i'm afraid it's going to fin me!  most of the time i can shake the fish off, but today i had to hold the little booger down with my foot while i pried the hook out of its mouth!
not long after i caught my fish, colby caught something too!  only it wasn't a fish....it was a ginormous frog!  he saw the frog sitting on the edge of the water "looking at my worm" so he said he just put it in front of the frog and he bit the hook!  the poor little guy was croaking and squeaking and moaning.  
photo of the day #137
hey mom!  i caught a frog!

he had that hook stuck pretty good in his mouth.  of course neither one of the boys was going to get him off, so that job was left to me.  this frog wasn't like other frogs i've held.  he was soft and smooth, not all bumpy and cold.  he was so helpless in my hands, and i really felt sorry for him.  i know it hurts fish, too, when they get hooked, but they aren't as cute as frogs!  i had to put the frog in my lap and use both hands to pop the hook out of his mouth, and by the time i got it out, he was bleeding which meant i had frog blood on me!  nice.....{i've washed my hands a gazillion times tonight, but they still feel dirty.}

colby felt so bad for catching the frog that he wouldn't fish anymore.  he just sat down beside me and watched.  we didn't fish long after that.  colby was ready to leave, and spencer had a soccer game anyway.

this was the last game of the season for spencer.  his team went undefeated this season even though they don't technically keep score!  spencer was a scoring machine tonight....3 goals in one period!  my boy rocks!
quote of the day:  "Frogs have it easy.  They can eat what bugs them." ~unknown

1 comment:

Lisa Howe said...

Yay Spencer! 3 goals is awesome. Sounds like you all had a great day, well, all but the frog...and I guess the fish. :o)